What is Sublimation
Scientifically, sublimation is when you take a solid and turn it into a gas without going through a liquid state. But let’s dive in a little more and tell you how this process actually works.
First, we take your artwork and transfer it into sublimation paper. Then, we use a high-heat process to press onto a garment of your choice. As we heat press the sublimation paper, your image is then turned into a gas that is absorbed by the clothing.
What are the benefits of sublimation?
- When you use sublimation printing, there’s no cracking or peeling with your design.
- You can print a full-color image with no minimums.
- After sublimation, the design actually becomes a part of the garment, rather than living on top such as traditional screen-printing.
- The surface is perfectly smooth with no feel, just like your favorite water-based screen printing.
- The colors will remain vibrant after multiple washes.
Things to keep in mind when you’re considering sublimation:
The first thing is that you must use a 100% polyester garment. This is because the gas can only be absorbing polyester.
The second thing is when you’re designing your artwork, keep in mind you cannot print white. Any white in your image will turn into the color of the t-shirt or garment.
And last but not least, not all colors are created equally. Some of the colors that work best with dye-sublimation printing are light and bright colors such as:
- light gray
The reason why these colors work so well is because the color of the garment will tint your sublimation print. This is why it always looks the most vibrant on white.
What can you print on sublimation?
Anything that’s 100% polyester pairs perfectly with sublimation. But if you need inspiration, here are a few things you can consider:
- Short sleeve tees
- Long sleeves tees
- V-neck tees
- personalized items such as bags, hats, tags, & license plates
Still have questions?
Contact one of our day makers today to talk more about how sublimation printing can help benefit your brand.